It’s that time of year — cookie exchange! Research and testing has begun for this year, but in the mean time, here’s an old favorite for the lemon lover in your life.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 cup powdered sugar
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer.
3. Beat in the egg and lemon zest.
4. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt and gradually add to the creamed mixture.
5. Stir in the poppy seeds with the mixer on low speed.
6. Cover and chill dough for at least one hour.
7. Form teaspoon-sized dough balls and place 2″ apart on parchment lined cookie sheets.
8. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until edges are lightly golden.
9. Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely.
10.Combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Mix well.
11.Drizzle glaze over cookies. Let stand until glaze is set, about 20 minutes.